A+ A- [A]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2017, 01:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Rabbit Recovering from GI stasis  (Read 1069 times)
ewilkin
Supporters

« on: January 11, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »

Last week Wednesday I discovered my rabbit Lulu wasn't eating or drinking and hadn't moved from the night before.  I was able to have my mom take her in to the vet on Friday afternoon when I was at work and we were told she had a blockage and was in GI stasis.  They gave her an IV to rehydrate her and start to get everything moving again. 

They gave me Metacam (given once a day), as well as metoclopramide (given every 12 hours).  They also gave me critical care if she wasn't eating.  I could not get her to take any of the medicine on her own, so I had to syringe feed her all of it (Which she was NOT happy about.  It was about a 15 minute struggle).  As of Saturday morning she started pooping again and was eating about 4 cups of veggies, hay, and a few pellets (She weights about 12 lbs).  I continued to give her the medicine and started to cut back on the critical care.  The only problem I was having was that she wasn't eating very many of her pellets and she is only drinking her water from her bottle when I am squeezing it for her (and if I put a bowl in it she will immediately spill it).

I was just wondering if it is okay she isn't eating many of her pellets as long as she is eating her veggies and Hay or should I continue to feed her the critical care.  Also, how do I know when she has recovered?  She seems to be basically back to herself except the fact she isnt drinking her water.  Any suggestions to get her to drink her water on her own?  I don't mind squeezing it for her but when I am at work for 10-12 hours straight I am worried about her getting dehydrated again.

Thanks!
Cynthia
Administrator
Supporters

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »

Thanks for asking this question.

Pellets are not absolutely necessary for rabbits to have. If they have the hay available 24/7 and a variety of fresh greens everyday, then they are good to go!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: